Sunday 22 June 2014

Don't Have to be a Stupid Teenager

There are some people who think that being a teenager and being stupid are inseparable things. I do not believe so. Put another way, what I believe is that being a teenager and being stupid do not necessarily have to go together. You can be a teenager and be sensible, wise and good if you want to be.
 I am quite aware that there are all sorts of scientific and psychological profiles about teenage behavior today, and much of the nonsense or stupidness teenagers do are attributed to the not-yet completely-developed status of the teenage brain. They tell me that as a teenager, the brain waves do not work in sensible ways; they are not fully connected ( am putting it my way, here) and that the wiring inside the teenage brain is not fully complete as yet, and so they will do nonsense.
 I agree.
I don't know, but it does definitely appear that there is something wrong or incomplete in the teenager's head. It appears that way to every parent I know. They can't wait for their teenager's brain to complete its wiring, because this partly-complete teenage brain wiring causes parents much stress, and work, and shouting, and argument and demand. Much putting down of the foot and its accompanying slammed door of teenage bedrooms; and these days it is the defiant insertion of the ever-present earplug.
It is possible to be a teenager and be absolutely respectful to parents, to avoid being a thief, to have excellent company, enjoy clean, safe fun and still fully enjoy your teenage years. Don't get me wrong, teenage years carry their stresses. I am aware that there are actual chemicals generated by the human body that do unimaginable things to the teenage emotions. I don't question that at all, but what I am saying is that teenage and stupid don't necessarily have to co-exist. If you have unprotected sex you will get a disease. If you steal, you will get caught and go to jail embarrassing your parents, if not yourself, because the embarrassment "wiring" has not yet been supplied to your brain. If you refuse to exercise self-control and self-restraint you could wind up dead, and if you do not discipline yourself, buckle down and do your school work in and outside of the classroom, you could end up in a financial dead end for the balance of your life, giving your own children a terrible beginning on their path through their existence. Your stupid fault.
 I know that the psychologist may inform me that, that aspect of the reasoning capacity "wiring" has not yet reached the teenage brain, but I  believe it is there. It is just that too many teenagers have not been helped by their parents in locating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment