Saturday 17 May 2014

Where are the Sensible Evangeical Ministers?

 I was not at the funeral; in fact I did not even know whose funeral it was. I was simply doing business with a company close enough to the relatively sprawling church building, when I noticed the Rasta men at the church door (Rastas appear to be faithful funeral attendees). I like rapturous singing, and I listened as the gathering of funeral attendees sang along to the beat of a rhythmic, bouncy and happy melody; a musical blend of voices and instrument.
 And then the sermon began.
 Now, I am a trained Minister, unlike many of the preachers today who seem to think they are to rip congregation apart shortly after being "ordained" bishop, youth minister or deacon. Let me pause here to state that a sure sign of church splitting these days, is spurious adornment of otherwise nobodies with grandiose spiritual titles such as bishop, prophet, prophetess, youth minister, women's  leader and other titles. This is a guaranteed way of ensuring church rift today, and exactly why we are finding churches as tiny as a gambling dice in virtually every alleyway and crevice on our tiny country, but that is for another blog. It seems to me that as long as some convert decides to call himself reverend, the government is immediately ready to offer him his "due Honor" along with the accompanying tax concessions for his church buses plus other perks and privileges.
 I stand amazed.
 Again, as is my style of writing, which I have no intention to change, I digress.
 Lets get back to the funeral.
 The sermon began and the minister choose for his text of discourse, the story of the rich man and Lazarus found in the book of Luke chapter 16. My heart sank so fast it reminded me of the M.V Christina. Why in heaven would a minister of the gospel, at a time when people needed comforting words, choose to preach about people going to hell? I mean, don't these preachers do this enough? Aren't they tired of trying to frighten people into the kingdom; and don't they realise it is no longer working? What is particularly annoying, is that it is almost like a fisherman who has suddenly come upon a large school of fish and decide to toss his net and frighten them all unto his catch. I am convinced that some of these ministers become so excited to at last see large numbers of strangers in their hearing, that they think they have gone to an evangelism opportunity party.
 It is a funeral for heaven's sake. Choose passages that bring comfort, hope, peace of mind and emotional courage to the people. Use the empathetic aspect of your twisted brain for once, in your life and try to stop bludgeoning grieving people like an excited bully on a play field wielding your sword of frightful condemnation. This is exactly why I am convinced that the sensible churches in my country are the Catholics, Methodists, Moravian and  the Anglicans; at least their ministers make some attempt to be wholly empathetic on such occasions, and so select scripture reflecting such. I wish that Pentecostal or evangelical ministers will follow their example and begin using their brains to display more understanding toward the plight of the grieving.

No comments:

Post a Comment