Saturday 5 April 2014

Love and Society ( Part 1)

Like everything else, humans engagement in love is conditional. People do not love other people  for no reason. We don't just love each other because there is something called love. We love our partner or our mates because something about that individual appeals to something in us. We don't seem to be consciously calculating when we feel love, and I am very convinced that emotion is crucially important in any relationship.
 I have always been  an independent thinker. All of my close friends know that I am the only person in my family able to swim, and it is because as a child I defied my mother's orders to keep out of the sea. My father grew up with the sea fewer than three hundred meters away from his home, while my mother grew up in Gingerland Nevis where the sea was a distant blue liquid thing that she might be able view from the branch of a mango tree. I am firmly convinced that the things we hear, see and experience play key roles in shaping our hopes, fears, concerns, ambitions and desires.
 As is my style  of writing I have digressed.
Every generation has its reason for falling in love with its choice of lover. In days nearer the end of slavery than present, the closer to being white the skin color happened to have been, the better were an individual's chances of gaining a life of a standard better than people of the darker skin. In the 1940s and 50s,I have been reliably informed, the  local banks employed mostly workers who, though clearly black, the white in them was clearly quite evident. It was no wonder then, that when a girl, who was not very dark, fell in love with a boy who was of a darker hue, the society whispered in hushed tones, "But whay she goin wid dat black boy daay? De boy black like a coal pot, hay-hay-hayyyy!"
 The poor and uneducated people did not recognize that societal conditions were in fact influencing the choices of their partners. It was a subconscious survival matter. A rather black boy would very likely produce rather black children, who in turn could not easily get the type of work that would have moved his generation into the opportunities offering better social and economic advantages.
(Come back for part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment